Wednesday, March 3, 2010

ER Action

Last night I had my first trip to the emergency room with Brinley, hopefully last.

Around 11 pm she woke up crying and gasping for breath. She kinda sounded like a seal when breathing. We picked her up, but as she continued to cry her breathing was hoarse and she had a barking cough. After she settled down a bit, her breathing was a little better, but not completely normal. Talk about heart stopping listening to your child struggling to breathe! I took her into the ER to have her checked out.

Diagnosis: Croup.

Apparently it is a thread of the common cold, but the main difference is that the child has difficulty breathing because the area around the voice box and vocal chords swells up. If you want more information on croup go here. I can't think of where she might have been exposed to it, but those in my area beware. Croup is on the lose!

3 comments:

John and Bethany said...

Our story last Sunday with Max. Although we opted for the Community Care, the only other place open in Rexburg on Sunday. They gave him a steroid shot to reduce the inflammation which worked very quickly. He still had a really bad cough but no barking/wheezing. So we did albuterol breathing treatment. Kind of scary how quickly a little cold can get so bad. Glad she is doing better.

Kilee said...

That is so terrible! I'm sorry! How scarry. I'm glad she is okay. Easton and I have been battling some nasty stuff here too. Hope no one else gets it and she feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully she will feel better! that is so terrible. - Emma Brumbaugh