Monday, August 31, 2009

Happiest Baby on the Block

http://a0.vox.com/6a00c2251c4db5f2190100a7fc89f8000e-500pi

Some of you may have heard of this book or the dvd... and I pretty much just want to put my testimonial out there for it. I wasn't totally sold on all the five techniques mentioned in his research, particularly the "white noise" or "shhhing" sound. I always felt kinda ridiculous making loud "shhhing" noises in Brinley's ear; however, that all changed yesterday!

Mike and I were driving back from Odgen from my brother's birthday dinner when Brinley started to fuss. She finally got sick of me coaxing her binkie back in her mouth and was virtually inconsolable. Then, I decided to try the loud "shhing" in her ear... and to my surprise she momentarily stopped crying (I was getting out of breath shhing for so long!) Mike heard me "shhhing" in her ear, and remembered the doctor saying that radio stations with the loud buzzing noise was also effective. So, he quickly found a station with a good buzz and turn it up so it was fairly loud. The next forty minutes was music to my ears... Brinley stopped crying!! She was still awake, and just looking around, completely calm. Granted we had to listen to radio fuzz the rest of the way home, but much better than her crying!! I started laughing to myself because I couldn't believe it really worked! IF you are near or at the frustration point with your baby's fussiness, then I highly recommend trying the strategies out!

4 comments:

Lant Family said...

I am reading the book Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Baby from the same guy. You should check that out. It is a good book--I am only like 1/2 way through but it seems good. I have some unanswered questions that might be answered as I continue reading. I am not sure how to work the 2nd child and still keep the 1st child active and happy.

Shauna said...

Ive borrowed that book from a friend, but I havent started reading it yet.
But I have discovered that Lucy loves the fan in the bathroom! When she's fussy, I'll go stand in the bathroom with the fan on and she calms down almost immediately!

Kilee said...

Um that is halarious! I am so glad you found that DVD! Good work guys! :)

Arizona Hendricks Family said...

We show this to all new parents. I think it really works, I use it all of the time when i have grumpy babies.